Time Away, Time Apart


Last Friday was absolutely glorious! Hubby took the kids for (approximately) five hours and I had the first part of the day completely to myself. It sounds so selfish but, it was just what I needed. I'm primarily a social person - in need of people to thrive and be happy; however, there are times when I crave solitude. With the back and forth going on between my girls all summer, this break was just what I needed. 
I woke up at my leisure, worked out, greeted my family after showering (and was met with an onslaught of questions from my daughters; where are you going? what are you going to do today? why aren't you going with us? etc...), ran some errands, took the puppy for a drive, picked up my favorite lunch then watched the Golden Girls while I ate it, took a power nap and painted my nails. If I could have this piece of heaven at least once per month, I might save myself from going completely batty by fifty.

Image result for all you can eat brazilian steakhouse

When the family returned, we went back out and into town for a Brazilian dinner.  Yum! My youngest and I have experienced this treat once before but, she was very young. Hubby and I indulged as a New Year's Eve dinner some years ago, but this was my eldest daughter's first time. It was delicious and filled us up rather rapidly. Too bad because you really want to take advantage when you're dropping a Benjamin on dinner. Despite the hefty bill, it was a wonderful day from start to finish. We even had low 80's temps and some summer sprinkles. I couldn't have asked for more! But...

The next day was devoted to just hubby and I. It started off nicely; breakfast together in town, then off to do some shopping, up the canyon to a resort city for more shopping, then back into our county for our favorite lunch spot. We investigated on some CBD oil for the eldest (pricing was spot on, but hubby wanted to know what the differences would be between in-store and online). We picked up dinner and headed home to watch a movie together. One comment (not even a comment, a small gesture) and the entire evening went south. He asked me to scratch his back, I did. He asked me to do it a few minutes later, I sighed and he pulled away. That was it. Evening done. All good things must come to an end

Image result for angry man clipartWhy did he react so vehemently? Why was I so reluctant and irritated to do it? I think it's just in us to self-sabotage when things are good and it's really shameful. You'd think that after two decades, we'd be over this petty stuff. Alas, it isn't so. We still argue over where we're going to dinner! This is actually a huge source of irritation for me, especially when he's so picky and only likes about four places to go out to eat. Just pick one!

I suppose I should be grateful. We could be arguing over the kids, work schedules, or finances (a big one for most couples) and yet, our squabbles are over stupid stuff. Unfortunately, we don't really get a chance to make up because he works so much. So, days go by with nothing happening and no discussions to be had. We may touch on the subject a bit, then move on. Sometimes things are resolved and sometimes not.

Next Monday, he has procedure that requires that I drive him there and back (he'll be on Valium).  I suppose he'll have to talk to me then. Meanwhile, I'll be busy with the girls; getting the eldest ready for her move this weekend and helping to get the house prepared for her departure (it desperately needs a good, parental, cleaning). Hoping and praying that things improve all around, especially after having such a mostly wonderful weekend. 

Reply to this post

Post a Comment