We Like our Coronas Shaken

It's approximately 7:15 am - Wednesday, March 18th. I'm chatting with my hubby, who's just gotten off of work and is making his morning call to me. He's home, the girls are awake (I can hear them in the background) and we're talking about his plans for the day (after he finally gets some sleep, of course). I hear a boom and then another. Initially thinking that it's thunder, I pass it off. One more boom, and then my chair begins to roll. I notice things shaking on my desk. Holy crap! It's an earthquake!

The guys in the bay come running back into the operations room.

"Did you feel that," they ask.

"Oh my gosh! We just had an earthquake," I say to them.

The flurry begins immediately. They are tasked with investigating the city for any buildings with
structural damage, citizens in need or potentially trapped elderly. The information comes through that a 5.7 earthquake has occurred in the city of Magna, but effects were felt throughout the state (I'll, say). Later, word comes through that another one could potentially hit with a possible 7.0 effect. The boss and I head to the city building to confirm the information. It was quickly debunked and we returned to our building less jittery than we left.

What are others doing? Buying up gas like we won't ever have any again (remember what happened with the toilet paper, about a week ago?). Generators are quickly purchased and people are packing overnight bags for "just in case".  Those who were most directly affected are trying to clean up their homes. The airport is quickly shut down, due to a water main break. Those whose homes are inhabitable are now trying to find a place to stay. As if the world weren't already turning backward on its axis already.

Then, the mixed messages: continue to practice social distancing for Covid-19 but, wait! Hold tight to your family and friends because we've had an earthquake - the strongest in 30 years. When we ended up at Sam's club last night, I ran into a friend. I miss my friends so,  I hugged her; I had to. I needed the connection of friendship and love. She needed it, too. The people in the store were probably mortified to see us but, I felt better. As we all talked (she, my hubby, her son and myself), time seemed to stop. I know we probably spent 30 to 45 minutes in each other's company (at a distance, of course) but the need for connection was being sated. Despite the madness, we are still humans and we need each other.

These are unnerving times and, with the earthquake, they've made me feel even more unsettled. My best friends experienced a tornado a couple of weeks ago. They are still trying to recover from that along with the social distancing and changes to everyday living. As such, the volunteer numbers are dropping off. People aren't helping to clean up because they've been asked to stay inside. What do you do?

Pray, chant, meditate - whatever you have to do to put yourself into a good frame of mind and stay positive. These are harrowing times and if we give into despair, we emit that energy into the world. I am grateful for the first day of spring - the signaling of new life and abundance. We need it so desperately. My goal is to stay strong and be vigilant with positive thinking and sharing love wherever I can.

Reply to this post

Post a Comment